Note: This assignment is for students in periods 2, 3, and 5.
Assume you are stranded in the middle of Death Valley, California. It is very hot there.
How hot is it? According to USA Today, Death Valley temperatures range from around 120 °F during the day to a chilly 90 °F during summer nights.
Your mission is to survive in these conditions for five days, beginning on a Monday and ending on a Friday.
Study the Survival Gear list, then select any 7 of the items you think will help keep you alive. You can take one gallon of water in a container (strongly recommended), but this will count as one item.
Remember, there is no water in Death Valley – no streams, creeks, rivers. Rainfall is rare. There is also nothing to build a shelter out of. There are snakes and lizards, however.
Write a 5 paragraph essay with the following structure:
- Opening paragraph that describes the situation, what you’re going to do, and the tools you’ll take with you.
- Second paragraph – describe one of the items you’ll take. Explain how it will help you survive.
- Third paragraph – describe another one of the items you’ll take. Explain how it will help you survive.
- Fourth paragraph – describe a third item you’ll take. Explain how it will help you survive.
- Briefly describe the other four items, then conclude the essay.
Expected length: 300+ words. Due Friday, October 5th.